Body Mechanics and Posture

Body mechanics is something that is so easy to do when given a little thought and attention. It is something that I have taken for granted and not used to maximize my ability and efficiency at doing daily activities. There are many reasons that good body mechanics and proper posture are important. Good body mechanics and proper posture enables one to protect the body, more specifically the back, and prevent injury. Another reason being that 80% of the population of adults will have lower pain in their back at some given time and two of the things that most back pain is a result of are poor posture and faulty body mechanics. Imagine how much of a decrease we could see in that 80% if people were taught how to correct their poor posture and body mechanics. Balance and stability are also highly correlated with one's posture and body mechanics. If one has poor posture and body mechanics, then they also have poor balance and stability. The individual's balance and stability will increase as the posture and body mechanics are learned or re-learned.
One example of how I might use proper body mechanics while treating a client would be when I'm bringing a client from lying to sitting up. It is important that my back stays as erect as possible and that I stay close to the patient so that the weight is close to my body. I will bend my legs, instead of my trunk, as I move the patient to a seated position.
One example of how I might teach proper posture to my client would be to give an individual, who is in a wheelchair, a cushion. The cushion will serve as a buffer to increase their postural stability and give them a little more control. While using their cushion, I would also remind them that keeping their back as erect as possible is key. The increased postural stability, in turn, will give the client more independence and confidence as they go through the rest of their rehabilitation (or therapy) process.

Comments