SIM Reflection

This SIM encounter has been my favorite one thus far. This is the first time I walked out of the room feeling confident in the performance I gave with the client. I, at first, accredited it to the actresses' skills, but after the debrief, Professor Booker suggested that it could be the student that is improving. This was so encouraging to me because I don't feel as if I've improved but then when it's actually tested, I can see that I have.
My biggest takeaway from the encounter was how important it is to chart review, or in this case, read the evaluation. This ensures that you'll know the client and their information while talking with their parent. This gives you confidence in your approach and also puts the parent as ease. They feel important and cared for because you took the time to study their case and know what's going on with their child.
One thing that I would do differently next time is to talk to the caregiver about my role as an occupational therapy student. She called me Doctor a couple of times and I didn't correct her in fear of embarrassing her. But, it is important for her to be aware of what education I have and what I am able to do for her son.
This encounter was important for me as an occupational therapy student in my school career. It provided the just right challenge for me. I want to carry this confidence into future experiences in SIM lab and in my future practice. I'm excited for more simulation opportunities.

Comments